Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Genova, day 2. Sunday's are closed.

October 21, 2007 Sunday

It’s been a while since I’ve used a caffe moka pot. Of course, there were no directions. So I fumbled around trying to remember how much water, how much coffee, how to cook it (I do remember you don’t want to put it on high and let the water blast through the grinds). Well, it pretty much worked. I didn’t put in quite enough coffee, but it will certainly help wake me up.

This is Italy, and whether they are still devout Catholics or not, Sunday is the day of rest. Very few businesses are open, and then those are clustered around what might constitute the tourist areas (e.g., by the harbor) and are operated almost exclusively by Middle Eastern or Asian merchants.

The supermarket was open 9-12, but of course, I missed that. Apparently there was a bread shop open this morning, too. Now, however, everything is closed. I took a walk up to the school to be sure I didn’t get lost tomorrow morning, the first day. And I thought, I’ll get some lunch while I’m out. Not. I walked for nearly 2 hours along some of the streets that seemed most busy yesterday. Almost deserted. Very few people about. It was spooky with everything locked up and hardly anyone else walking around.

I finally got a slice of pizza at a shop on the harbor (choices were pizza or gyros).

So back to the apartment and up the stairs. Fortunately I have enough stuff to fix dinner tonight. But no wine. Next week, I’ll be better prepared.

No comments: